Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Toilet Trees

I woke up this morning feeling groggy and uninspired.  I had originally planned to do a much more elaborate first attempt at reducing my waste, but I just couldn't bring my brain or hands up to the task.  So I fell back on some materials that oddly enough, happen to relate to waste.  Yes, today I made toilet paper roll tree ornaments!
Toilet paper rolls, while their purpose is very important, don't seem to have one once they've been stripped of their white plush wrappings.  They're doomed to end up in the recycling- or worse -the trash (gasp!)  I've seen a few really cool ways to reuse such a trivial item as a toilet paper roll but I figured "'Tis the season", and went with a slightly altered version of a craft I'd seen on Craftgawker.

They were so easy to make and could be modified into some really ornate pieces if you painted them or added beads, but I decided to go with an quick, basic version so a lot could be left for the imagination.
So here's what you need:


-A toilet paper roll
-Needle and thread
-Hot glue gun
-Scissors
-Some sort of twine or string to hang the ornaments (just depends on the look you're going for)
-Cloves (the original post I saw didn't use cloves but I thought they would give it a "rustic" look and they smell real nice)
.

First, make a crease on one side (or both, depending on the type of flower you want), make sure you really flatten the side, it makes it easier to cut and it helps connect all the petals together.


Next, cut the roll into 5 pieces and sew them together at the base of the petals (the reason I didn't glue them together in the first place was because I wasn't sure where I was going to put the cloves and I think it makes it easier to put the petals together if the string is holding them in place)
I put a dab of glue in the middle and stuck the clove in place on either side, and then I glued a clove on the inside of each one of the petals so it looks like the center of a flower.  Finally, I glued some twine onto the top and voila! 



And there you have it!  A cute, cheap little ornament that smells nice and adds a nice touch to your tree.  Makes great little gifts or a fun craft with kids.  


No comments:

Post a Comment