Monday, January 7, 2013

Can't let it go

As I mentioned in my post Nothing you can wine about , I had originally planned to make candle votives out of my wine bottles by using a method I kept hearing about online.  The method is where you take a piece of string soaked in nail polish and wrap it around the part of your bottle you want to remove, then you light it on fire and dunk it into cold water really fast.  This apparently makes a really clean cut and you only have to sand the glass slightly to smooth it out.
Well, the string for some reason would not stay lit.  So I tried it with lighter fluid (maybe not the best idea) and that lit for a brief second.  Then I saw something about scoring the bottle first with a fancy glass cutter and then using boiling water and cold water to get the bottle to break cleanly.  I only had a hack saw and I barely scratched the surface.
So I got some suggestions from friends, did a little research and am now making this blog post in the hopes that the poor soul out there who tries to do what I did won't.
Here's the video that I saw talking about the different methods of glass cutting:


Also this:
Unfortunately both methods involve stuff you probably don't have lying around but there are a lot of different types out there that cost different amounts so you might get lucky and find a cheap one.

Anyways, now that I know how to properly cut glass, I may get my tail out from between my legs and try it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment