Friday, January 11, 2013

Toilet paper strikes again!

Ever since I completed my craft for my post Toilet trees I just didn't feel like I had done toilet paper roll crafts justice.  It was my first craft and I didn't really have a lot of toilet paper rolls to begin with so my options were limited.  But since then, I've been saving all the empty toiler rolls and I finally decided to do something with my over flowing bag of them.  I think I've made my favorite craft yet:


A geometric wall decoration!  Isn't it beautiful??  It took a lot of time and it was a bit of a mess because of the paint but it was so worth it.

So here's what you need:


-A bunch of toilet paper rolls
-Scissors
-Hot glue gun
-Paint of any color (or no paint if you like the brown)

To start:


Cut your rolls into quarters, this will make them the perfect depth but I guess you could go thicker if you wanted.  I wouldn't make them any thinner though since they have a lot done to them


Pinch the roll pieces so that they resemble petals.  Thankfully the roll automatically does this a bit when you cut them so you only have to reinforce the crease


First I made the center part and then painted it white and then once dry, I glued the parts together


Then I mixed some yellow and red into the white to make a lighter color of what I wanted  to end up with


I made sure to place the outside layers before gluing them to make sure I have the right pattern.  Make sure the colored rolls are completely dry before adding them to the white ones because otherwise you could smudge the white like I did on a few of them


Here's a photo of me placing them before painting them.  I found that as the piece got bigger it was a little confusing to remember where I planned to put the rolls so I highly recommend taking pictures to look back and reference once the rolls are painted


Here's my second to last layer, I added more red and yellow to this layer to create that fade effect.  As the wall decoration gets bigger, the rolls will get a bit smooshed but it didn't ruin the look


Here's the finished piece drying.  It looks like there are weird gaps since this picture is at an angle but once you put it against a wall it looks symmetrical


Here it is on while wall, I think it adds a nice pop of color


I think this was my favorite color that it went against.  I would love to see it against a deep blue colored wall but we don't have any of those in my house.  Make sure if you're mounting it on a wall you hang it by one of the white middle ones so that it can support itself.  It might rip if you try and hang it from the darker outside one

No comments:

Post a Comment