Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cork dork

So as I mentioned in my post Corky projects I was going to do a project using old wine corks.
Well I kept my promise and I completed my very own cork board.  This is another one of those too-easy-to-be-real projects, but here's proof that crafts really can be super cheap, super easy and really cute.


There it is sitting proudly on my wall.  The cool thing about this piece is that it can be functional or just decorative


Here it is being a functional cork board
So how do you make it?
Here's what you need:


-A picture frame
-A bunch of corks
-Hot glue gun (not pictured)


The frame that I chose was only $3 dollars at the Goodwill bins.  I saw some really giant ones that were only like $10 dollars but I wanted to make sure I worked out the kinks in a smaller frame before moving up in size.  This is I'd say the only purchase you'd have to make for this project, unless you already have a frame that you'd like to use

So here's what I did first:


I sorted out all the same size corks and got an idea of how many I would need to fill the frame (I ended up needing a few more than this since this isn't the final pattern).  I also kept the glass in the frame because it created a stable base


Next I arranged the corks in the final pattern and hot glued them by vertical rows so I could make sure it would all fit.  I suppose you could glue it horizontally but I don't recommend gluing random corks because you could end up with empty spaces or not enough room.  
As you can see at the top of the picture there wasn't enough room for whole corks so I cut them in half and it worked out really nicely


And there it is!  I want to make a lot more of these in all different sizes since they were so easy and fast and if you buy the frames at the bins then you will spend hardly any money on them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment