Saturday, December 29, 2012

A work in progress

As I'd mentioned in my post A Crafters Guide to Pain Relief, I've been working on a project for a fair amount of time now.  I was not expecting it to take as long as it has and there's so much left to do.  But I figured I could post my progress since the final product is just going to be a bigger version of what I have now.  Also maybe posting this will give me incentive to finish it.
I'm making a woven rug!
This is a great project that uses up old clothes that have holes in them that you can't donate, but don't want to throw away.  I have been saving shirts and other soft material items for a while now so I'd have enough for a decent sized rug.
Here's how far I've gotten:

As you can see it's definitely not rug size, but the rug will just look like a very large version of this
So to start you'll need:
-A bunch of old clothes, any colors work but I was lucky that all of them were among the same color scheme of grays, navy and white
-Cloth scissors
-Sewing needle, a bigger one is definitely better 
-Thread that goes with your color scheme
-Sewing pins
To start:

Cut your fabric into strips, I had a bunch of different thicknesses and cloth textures because it gives it a bit more of a rugged look but if you want a more uniform rug then cut them all the same size.
Make sure to cut off any seams, edges, tags etc because it will make it hard to sew and wrap


Next, tie all the strips together into one long rope.  This is very time consuming and it may be helpful if you had a friend to do it with.  I alternated colors of the strips so it took me a bit longer but it would also look nice if you tied all the same colors together and then attached them like a fading effect


Here is my big pile of tied together strips




To start, twist the strips and then pin them in place.  You can only twist small amounts at a time otherwise it gets all warped.  Then sew the edges together like so:


Make sure you're sewing on one side of the rug so that you don't have a lot of visible lines (unless you want that kind of look)
Keep going until you're finished!
Also, if you encounter the same pain that I did when starting this, check out my other post:

1 comment:

  1. This is a really clever idea! Thank you for sharing this! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete