Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Candles on a budget

Last weekend I got to do something I've always really wanted to do, make candles!!
Thankfully Katie, the wonderful hostess already had wicks, a giant box of soy wax, coloring and scents but it was our jobs to bring to the containers.  I found a really cool old Ball jar in my basement so I decided to use that as well as some cupcake tins for cute little candles.



Our wonderful photographer Dylan got some pictures of the process

Here's how they turned out:


 I really don't recommend using the cupcake tins because only one actually worked, the wicks on all the other ones wouldn't come up from the bottoms.  Next time I think I'll make them in cupcake papers and peel them off, I'm hoping that would make a cool design.
Anyways, I went home and wanted to make more!  Unfortunately, candle making isn't something you just do, you need to buy all the supplies which can get costly.  So I found this really cool guide for making candles and this one uses old candle wax.
We all have those old candles lying around that we've burned to the bottom, but the sides are still in tact.  Now you can use that wax to make a whole new candle!  I think it would be cool to mix colors and different scents.  And what's cool is that if you use old wax with scents and colors all you need to buy are wicks which are not expensive at all and you can get at any craft store.
To remove candle wax from old containers, freeze the container and the wax will fall right out!

Here's the site:
Comin' Home
I think these will make great gifts for people since you made them yourself and used up old stuff at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment